Hi ya Scorch Fit Crew & Green Team!
I have heard many stories of how people lose 10 lbs in a week on some kind of fad diet before carnival to confidently fit into their costumes. While I simply listen without judgement, I believe that it is important to practice healthy habits all year round. And I can assure you that it is possible.
According to the Standard American Diet (SAD), most people tend to revert to old habits and cravings. So the old threats of inflammation, obesity, diabetes, immunocompromised conditions, arthritis, osteoarthritis, acid reflux, and low energy all come back.
The 7 essential nutrients are water, protein, carbohydrate, fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals. These are essential because our human bodies must obtain them from external sources, and therefore should be of high concern in regard to source and quality chosen for consumption.
According to research by the World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, nutrition is coming to the fore as a major modifiable determinant of chronic disease, with scientific evidence increasingly supporting the view that alterations in diet have strong effects, both positive and negative, on health throughout life. As we are aware of the powerful effects of how we can use these essential nutrients to feed or fight disease, we must also be aware that as a collective we need to learn how to choose products on the market that are high in nutrients and are in support of a healthy lifestyle.
With all of this in mind, I am often asked by my clients what do we do to keep this up after Carnival? How can we remain consistent when media and environments make it so easy to stray from eating healthy?
Here are some of my favourite tips:
- Purchase good food to stock up the house - Keep your pantry stocked with clean snacks, your fridge filled with whole foods, and your freezer filed with clean, easy meals and treats such as like Vital vegan soups and Dairyfree ice cream(2 spoons is enough to ease a cravings!).
- Meal prep once or twice a week so you always have clean and healthy meals on hand.
- Hydrate with high quality neutral water and throw in a slightly alkaline water a few times per week.
- Consume probiotic rich live foods such as saukraut, kombucha, or kefir which support the digestive system and strengthen the immune system for better nutrient assimilation.
- Aim for balance by adding a cup of clean soup or a large leafy green salad when having a refined carb meal such as the slice of pizza or french fries.
- Aim for nutrient dense, high quality, whole foods that make you feel great instead of slumped down so that you can stay on top of your productive game.
- Journal all anxieties and fears so that your emotions are taken care of without feeling to binge eat or over consume addictive junk foods.
- Exercise regularly; even if it is a 30 minute incline walk because your mind and gut will feel better for it.
- Stay accountable by hiring a nutritionist/coach/ trainer to ensure that you stay on track with your goals
- Be grateful and give more love.
These are my top 10 tips for living a healthy life year round so that the carnival body that looks great externally, also feels great and loves you internally.
Join up to any of my individual or group programs starting March 18th to start living a healthier life and to lose weight NOW.
Annick G. Lewis Nutritionist (BSc) & Qualified Personal Trainer
CEO & Founder Green Balance TT
Nutrition & Fitness Meet Fun